Tuesday, May 14, 2019

Hologram Portraits

I got to show off my scan portraits the other day on the Looking Glass holo display. I used a pre built app to display the models, and paired with a Leap Motion, I could pinch and rotate/zoom in on the models. 


It was really great to share this with others, especially when it was someone interacting with their own portrait. Sometimes I get really lost in the bigger projects and research ideas, so it was a good feeling to come back to simpler ideas like these portraits. Everyone loves a portrait. They're so fundamental and human.

The only issue was running the display off of my laptop, which has an NVIDIA graphics card but still lagged. 

To prepare the models, I first decimate the mesh to under 1000 verts (about 300 polys). I do this right in Zephyr.




I think re project the textures onto the reduced mesh. 



It produces some errors but they did not bother me for this application. 



An unexpected result is that I really dig these lo poly, vert color meshes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Quain Courtyard pt 4, mild success