Thursday, February 14, 2019

Term Summary

This is my halfway report. Admittedly I have been a bit scattered this term, I realized while writing up this list.
My overall goal was to build a repertoire of reality capture tools and processes. I have greatly enjoyed discovering new processes and am wrapping my brain around the realistic scope of something like my mock project last term.




Testing scanning hardware
  • For both scan quality and hardware accessibility reasons, I have concluded that photogrammetry with digital cameras are the way to go for my work. 
  • My Google Pixel 2XL has a decent camera with 12 megapixels
  • I prefer to use the ACELab's SonyRX10 camera with 20 megapixels
  • I used the Ricoh Theta for 360 photography

Scanning software
  • I am using 3DF Zephyr in combination with Maya, ZBrush, and Substance Painter

Researching pointcloud rendering
  • It was suggested I look into point based realtime rendering to render the pointclouds directly (instead of optimizing them into polygon meshes). I discovered a couple of tools/plugins in development, but at the moment none look like they would be useful to me in the short term. 
  • The concept is very exciting though and the potential for a more scaleable resolution in the models would be amazing.
Scanning very small things
  • I found a scientific paper that outlines the whole process of macro photography and focus stacking. They even published their tracking ring. 
  • I wanted to scan another bug, but I put this away for now as I did not feel it was directly relevant to my larger term goal.
  • I would be interested in experimenting with lightfield photography for this application.
Scanning medium sized objects
  • This is the easiest and most common application of photogrammetry.
  • My most successful capture was a statue in the woodlands cemetery which I named the "Lichen Angel" since she was covered in lichens. 
Scanning at room scale
  • For regular camera I used a combination of shooting patterns, starting with three rings outwards, then one ring up/down. Then detail passes in simple paths.
  • For 360 camera I found up/down rings are better. 
  • I'm looking for enclosed or semi enclosed spaces with natural elements, interesting forms and texture.
  • Shot a few locations:
    • Main Building's smoker deck (successful) 
    • Travis's new apartment (unsuccessful, bathroom was too shiny)
    • Woodlands cemetery (somewhat successful)
    • UPenn Courtyard (somewhat successful)
  • Scouted potential locations:
    • Main Building's observatory -- need special permission to access
    • UPenn's Bio Pond -- there are few enclosed spaces and PLENTY of natural elements
Scanning portraits
  • I have gotten very fast at shooting bust portraits. I posted a bunch on my Instagram.
  • I have the subject sit in a chair in a well lit room. I stick tracking stickers to the back of their head, as most hair creates stitching issues. I shoot in continuous/photoburst mode and walk around in three rings. 
  • I would like to take this idea further, either cleaning scans or at least hosting the pointcloud data somewhere like Sketchfab
  • I enjoy the ritual of this process a lot and interacting with friends who will sit for me. 

Misc
  • Found an fascination with technopaganism, its somewhat silly and quotable, but I feel like its a staple of 90s cyberpunk subculture. Would love to find more on this topic. Inspiring for interactive design. 
  • Wrote about the walking simulator genre, and why I love spatial design
  • Found a growing field in volumetric and spatial capture
    • the future will be lightfield photography, giant capture domes
    • volumetric video capture is exciting

Next steps

  • Could revisit/refine really anything above.
  • Need to push the Smoker Deck room forward. 
    • Retopo
    • Bake maps to low poly mesh
    • delight albedo
    • adjust materials
    • flex goal - object seperations
    • flex goal - interactive elements
  • Would like to work with more interactive design this term, however I think I am running out of time.
  • The data capture side is the fun part! I need to push a model through to completion.
  • It may make more sense to revisit the Lichen Angel capture for the post processing steps before tackling the whole room.  



No comments:

Post a Comment

Quain Courtyard pt 4, mild success