Sunday, February 24, 2019

Manual Retopologizing





Optimizing the mesh for my tests with  the angel statue were fairly straightforward. I used ZBrush's Dynamesh feature to decimate into quads and make watertight. Did I mention how FAST Dynamesh is?

However, for my larger room project, I need more control and more accurate end results. I teased earlier that I had started retopo-ing. I did not anticipate needing so much overhead time to figure out the best retopo method, and I am learning it's kind of an art. I actually kind of love retopo, I try to look at it like a geometric puzzle game.
  • Remember, this is a 'textured mesh' generated from 3DF Zephyr. This is a GIANT triangulated mesh, plus textures maps (in this case I baked four maps out. Maya had no problem linking them.)
  • The goal is to decimate (reduce the total poly count) and UV Unwrap
Manual Retopo is important for this project because I need:
  • specific object seperations
  • specific edgeflow for crisp edges
  • (obviously) much lower polycount 
  • quads
In general Manual Retopo is also necessary for other projects that might need:
  • animation ready models that need specific edgeflow for predictable deformations
  • subd models

So first, I always refer people to this video by Flipped Normals:
Retopology for Beginners in Maya

This video demonstrates using Maya's Quad Draw tool and an active Live Surface to retopologize a high poly model. Quad Draw came out with the Modeling Toolkit, and has really made retopo possible in Maya. This is exciting because less software is always better, but also because it allows for using Mayas modeling tools.
  • Work big to small
  • Use soft selects + smooths 
Secondly:
How to Speed up Retopo In Maya - GPU Trick!

This video demonstrates making a GPU Cache to import REALLY huge meshes into Maya. I did this and it was still kind of slow on my laptop, but still, I could actually work in with the Smoker Deck scan in Maya on my laptop.
  • Check the plugin manager if you don't see GPU cache.
  • Set your project (duh!) or this won't save in the right directory.
Lastly, there were a couple of things I did that were specific to this project.
  • Set the cached model to a reference display layer (so I wouldn't click on it)
  • Set the viewport mode to transparent. (not the display layer... need to see those texture colors).
  • I did NOT use a Live Surface in this case because it ended up getting in the way more than helping. Eyeballing first and then adjusting the verts to more precise units later. And always work big --> small.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Quain Courtyard pt 4, mild success