Monday, March 4, 2019

Pointcloud Meshing with Seperations, pt3

Evaluating my progress on the Smoker Deck environment...



So, I hit a blocker in my development when I re-projected my textures onto my separated model and found that suddenly, I had tons of texturing errors being produced.




I believe this is caused by imperfect matching... that is, Zephyr is producing errors when the model is slightly off or slightly overlapping.


That being said, there are instances I have highlighted above where the re-projection is really successful.


In particular, the pipe seemed to re-project especially well.

Two thoughts:
  • Maybe I am not rebuilding the mesh properly. Perhaps I need to simplify, or be more accurate.
  • Maybe my capture method is not accurate enough.
  • Maybe the problem is meshing the pointcloud!


After all this, I revisited the point based rendering solutions. 
For fun, I tried importing the pointcloud directly into Unity with the PCX plugin. 
https://github.com/keijiro/Pcx

Note- why did this model get flipped? Did exporting to .ply flip the model?


Rendering with 'disk' mode at size .05


Rendering with 'disk' mode at size 0.3



Thoughts on points:
  • still noticeable stitching issues
  • this plugin does not react to lights :-[
  • It is still quite obviously not a surface. 

If switching to point based rendering ONLY affected the aesthetic qualities of the render, it would not be an issues. However, to my knowledge, nothing exists for me as an artist to manipulate a pointcloud to do things like edit the model or textures.

--

Each of the bulleted thoughts above lead me down a different direction. Since I'm running out of time this term, I need to make sure I am focusing my efforts in a way that makes sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Quain Courtyard pt 4, mild success