Thursday, February 28, 2019

Pointcloud Meshing with Seperations, pt2


I spent a day building a low poly model for the smoker deck environment. I UV unwrapped everything, then imported everything (as a combined .obj file) into Zephyr. I followed my documented steps from before on reprojecting.
The results? Lots of issues. I am kind of frustrated.





I have to remind myself that a lot of these steps won't look "right" until then end when I delight + bake normals. But still... this looks reminiscent of Goldeneye and Perfect Dark era, poorly plastered textures projected onto simple geometry.

Next I am going to try importing + reprojecting each piece individually. I hope this creates more accurate texture and resolves a lot of the issues that were created by overlapping textures.

--

Troubleshooting notes:
(aka me thinking out loud)

  1. Manual retopo created more issues
    • separating exports did not seem to help. the geo was just too different for a proper reprojection
    • the pipe looked really good however. maybe because it was simple enough? maybe I just matched it better
  2. Zbrush Dynamesh creates 100 diff shells and sometimes even causes Zephyr to crash.
    • why does it break up the geo? and it only sometimes happens?
    • check export settings. 
    • Meshmixer is also useful but only makes tris
    • I want quads so I can easily unwrap
  3. Go back to point based rendering?
    • but then how do you de-light? 
    • how do you do anything with points, really
  4. Some assets look correct... 
    • the pipe looks awesome


No comments:

Post a Comment

Quain Courtyard pt 4, mild success