Tuesday, January 29, 2019

Testing different stitching softwares

After baby sitting the Lichen Angel process over last weekend (clocking in at probably 30-40 hours) I figured I should look into better methods. In general I would like to stay away from any rendering/processing time that runs more than 8-10 hours, aka overnight. A couple of people have already told me that Agisoft has not kept up with its competitors and advised me to look at RealityCapture. 

So I did-- I threw the same batch into RealityCapture and holy shit. In under five minutes I had a chunk of the same model in what looked like comparable, if not better quality. 


So I threw the photoburst batch at it as well (384 photos, some are blurry, no preprocessing). In an hour I got this:



The next thing I looked at was licensing options, which are pretty steep in comparison. The full version is 15 grand! Except that's listed in Euro, so its really $17000 USD. Yikes.
One option that I'm seriously considering is their Freelancer version, which is 100 Euro for one month, and for some reason $40/month on Steam. 




I also looked at 3DFlow Zephyr, which was a similar story. Amazing demo-- processed the same batch (well, partial batch, clamped at 50 photos) in a matter of minutes. Their price points are in the thousands of dollars range.


I have tasted luxury and now I NEED it. 

Here's everything else I've tried:

Autodesk ReCap is at the mercy of their cloud computing, but I found in general the turnaround time is about a day. Clamps picture quality, max 50 photos. Free education license.

Agisoft works but is very slow. Needs a lot of preprocessing, which they don't help you with. Temperamental, I've had it fail on me before. 






No comments:

Post a Comment

Quain Courtyard pt 4, mild success