Friday, January 18, 2019

Scanning Bugs



One time I scanned a bee. I was told it couldn't be done, but I was stubborn and turned up all the settings / used every scanning trick I knew and spent a lot of time in post processing. The final was still a bit rough, you can see for yourself here.

I developed a sculpture project about bees disappearing using destructive glitch art. I made a series of files with simple Find/Replace commands to break the 3D object, then remeshed again so they could be printed. I would change a lot about the execution of the piece now, but it was still an exciting step into the world of physical output.

The final result lived on display for a little where I work, an small art college, however in a strange twist last year one of the bees was stolen. Rude! Fortunately new media can be infinitely reproduced, but still, it left me with a bad taste towards gallery culture. I still wonder about the print and where he lives now-- was it a spiteful former student of mine? A visitor? A family touring the building?

Anyways, one unexpected outcome from that project was that friends of mine starting finding and gifting little bugs to me to scan, including a couple cicadas. It's very sweet, and strange. I am excited to continue this work with my dead bugs.

I'm using a camera with a macro lens, a rotating base, and a light tent. My first batch didn't process, next round I am going to tweak a few things.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Quain Courtyard pt 4, mild success